Have you ever suffered from back pain? If not, you're in the minority. Studies show that around 80% of adults experience back pain at least once in their lives. Further studies have found back pain to be the leading cause of disability. So if you're putting off doing something about your aching back, you could be putting yourself at risk.
Looking for help with persistent back pain? Without the right expertise, it's impossible to know what to do. Fortunately, at North Lakes Physio we have a team full of experts to help. We provide back pain treatment for people in Penrith, Sedbergh and wider Cumbria. Get in touch today to find out how we can provide back pain relief. Give us a call on 0794 7918063 to speak to us sooner.
What is Back Pain?
Back Pain is a musculoskeletal disorder (MSD). Obviously, it refers to pain and discomfort in your back, but can also extend to neck and shoulder pain.
Common causes of back pain include:
- Muscle tension and a sensitised nervous system - Most back pain can come from a simple sprain/strain of the soft tissue in the back (not dissimilar to a sprained ankle) and then due to a lack of movement/fear/ingrained beliefs/over protection can lead to a sensitized nervous system and ongoing pain - even when the initial injury has itself resolved.
- Slipped discs - this is when a disc of the spine is damaged and presses on a nerve, causing discomfort.
- Whiplash - a type of neck injury caused by sudden impact such as a car crash.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis - a chronic disorder that results in stiffness and pain where the spine meets the pelvis.
- Frozen Shoulder - this is when tissue surrounding the shoulder joint becomes inflamed, leading to pain and stiffness.
- Sciatica - this refers to pain caused by irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve, the longest in your body.
Other causes include conditions such as Arthritis, muscle and ligament strains, disc lesions and Osteoporosis. Despite the range of conditions back pain can be attributed to, 85% of back pain cases do not have a clear cause.
Because the cause of recurring back pain is difficult to determine, a lot of treatments fall flat. Without knowing the root cause of the back injury, how can something be suggested to fix it?
If it's so hard to work out what causes back pain how do you treat it?
At North Lakes Physio, we don't use a one-size-fits-all approach to treating back pain. We'll look at your individual case to get to the bottom of your back and lower back problems.
When the cause of your pain isn't clear, the best course of action is Cognitive Functional Therapy (CFT). CFT is a technique pioneered by Professor Peter O'Sullivan of Curtin University in Australia. With CFT we'll analyse the way you move and use your body to determine the problem areas. Then we'll address your behaviour and beliefs so you're completely in the know about your problem and how it's to be solved.
We also perform acupuncture for back pain.
Why North Lakes?
All our physios are members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. They're also registered with the Health and Care Professions Council. Both of these bodies require their members to undergo regular evaluation and assessment. So you can rest assured you're in safe hands, and that our staff have up to date knowledge.
Want to know how to get rid of a bad back? For good? North Lakes Physio will help you overcome severe back pain, so you can live your life to the full. Get in touch today to find out more. Give us a call on 0794 7918063 to find out sooner.